Reports to: Senior Manager, Fellowship Program
Location: Los Angeles (HQ in Downtown LA)
Who is Larta Institute?
Larta Institute is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization accelerating innovation and entrepreneurship.
Our mission is to foster science and technology innovation for a sustainable planet.
Our planet is experiencing significant global problems created by human behavior and policies affecting the environment, food, education, energy, and healthcare systems. New science and technology play a critical role in transforming how we sustainably feed, fuel, and heal the world.
Larta was founded in 1993, in Los Angeles, funded by the state of California as a Regional Technology Alliance to stimulate the economic development of technology-based enterprises in Southern California. Larta quickly became the national partner for numerous federal government agencies to commercialize novel research and innovation – including DARPA, NIH, DOE, NSF, NIST, NOAA, and USDA.
Today, our innovation platform and ecosystem accelerate new science and technology from idea to sustainable enterprise – by providing a unique combination of connections, resources, and funding. We have helped over 4,500 startups, and our alumni have raised over $6.5 billion in funds.
Together, let’s feed, fuel, and heal the world.
What is the role?
This is a unique opportunity to work closely with our team of industry shapers, innovation experts, and entrepreneurs, specializing in programs supporting triple-bottom line ventures aligned to the UN Sustainable Development Goals. Through the Venture Fellows program, we bring expertise to support budding entrepreneurs with novel solutions to address the negative impact of climate change on underserved communities.
To be successful, the Venture Fellows program will expand our partner network, scout exciting ideas, create content, compile research, and design the pilot program in Miami and Los Angeles. This program will scout for innovations solving problems around urban food security/nutrition diversification, access to clean energy/air/water, sustainable city/transport/housing, urban dead zone transformation, urban heat islands, and rising sea levels among others. We are focused on some of the most urgent problems facing modern cities.
What would my day look like?
- Support program management in planning, executing and monitoring and tracking the program by below and other activities as need arise:
- Planning activities like developing curriculum and pilot program as well as program set up activities.
- Logistics of events and meetings
- Tracking deliverables, metrics and program data as well as generating status reports, such as compiling Fellow needs assessments into reports
- Conducting surveys and gathering feedback from innovators and other partners
- Creation of PowerPoint presentations and marketing materials
- Program communications for example newsletters
- Maintaining program documentation, such as Fellow pilot progress tracking or translating contact spreadsheets into our CRM
- Expanding our partnership network with aligned organizations and nonprofits, such as finding local LA and Miami entities interested in experimenting with our Fellows’ innovations
- Matching subject matter experts and mentors with our entrepreneurs, as needed
- Research and data compilation of local impact investors, potential funding sources and other post-program opportunities for our Fellows
- Creating content and writing connecting our work with those passionate about combatting climate change, and capturing the entrepreneurial journey through our program
- Additional duties as assigned.
What skills and experience does Larta require?
- Strong work ethic
- Passionate about Larta’s mission to foster science and technology innovation for a sustainable planet
- Interest in technology, innovation and entrepreneurship preferred
- Highly skilled in data analytics and presenting data with charts, graphs, and other tools
- Strong proficiency in Office 365, specifically Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and simultaneously manage multiple issues and assignments in a fast-paced environment
- Proactive, self-starter, engaged with high time management and organizational skills
- Problem solving attitude, strong team player, and ability to work with others
- Commitment to internship for at least 4-6 months; longer commitments welcomed
- Available to work a minimum of 15 hours per week
- Strong presentation skills and professional presence
- Spanish speaking a plus
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Larta Institute is committed to providing an accessible, safe, respectful, and welcoming environment for all. Our Anti-Discrimination Policy aims to ensure that all members of the Larta Institute community – including our staff, startup founders, mentors, government officials, industry executives, investors, speakers, sponsors, donors, advisory board members, and other community members – are treated with dignity and respect in an open culture that is free from harassment, discrimination, violence, and other inappropriate conduct.
Larta Institute is committed to diversity, equitable access, and inclusion.
Employment Status: Internship
Hourly Pay Range: $16.04
How to Apply
Complete an application, including providing a resume and cover letter here.
This job description is a summary of the primary duties and responsibilities of the job and position. It is not intended to be a comprehensive or all-inclusive listing of duties and responsibilities. Contents are subject to change at management’s discretion.
Larta Institute is an equal employment opportunity employer. We consider individuals for employment or promotion according to their skills, abilities, and experience. We believe that it is an essential part of Larta’s overall commitment to attract, hire and develop a strong, talented, and diverse workforce. Larta Institute is committed to complying with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination as defined by both California and federal laws.