Reports to: Executive Leadership
Location: Los Angeles (HQ in Downtown LA)
About Larta Institute
Larta Institute is a non-profit organization accelerating innovation & entrepreneurship. Our mission is to foster science & technology innovation for a sustainable planet. Our planet is experiencing significant global problems created by human behavior and policies affecting the environment, food, education, energy & healthcare systems. New science & technology plays a critical role in transforming how we sustainably feed, fuel, and heal the world. Larta was founded in 1993, in Los Angeles, as California’s regional technology alliance to stimulate the economic development of technology-based enterprises. Larta quickly became the national partner for numerous federal government agencies to commercialize novel research & innovation – including DARPA, NIH, DOE, NSF, NIST, NOAA, and USDA. Today, our innovation platform & ecosystem accelerates new science & technology from idea to sustainable enterprise – by providing a unique combination of connections, resources, and funding. We have helped over 6,000 startups, and our alumni have raised over $5BN in funds.
Together, let’s feed, fuel, and heal the world.
We are looking for a talented Sr. Software Engineer to join our company.
The ideal candidate is a professional in mid-stage or later in his or her career, interested in legacy and impact, and the impact his or her work could have on a noble mission. The ideal candidate is both communicative and collaborative, capable of translating business notions into software solutions.
You are and should be:
- Interested in the impact and consequences of what you do, and the future of this planet.
- Passionate about science-based innovations and entrepreneurs, indeed, in accelerating impact using software tools and processes.
- Looking for challenges and work affecting the management of hundreds of entrepreneurs through our platform.
- Committed to software development throughout the entire software life cycle from design and architecture through development, testing, and delivery.
- Recognizing that changes are part of our business growth and are the norm, not the exception.
- Collaborative. You enjoy being part of a team, are excited to succeed and help others succeed.
- Know that software development is to optimize and automate business processes and the business side is the owner and leading force.
- Flexible to learn, apply, and open to new approaches and new ideas.
- Willing to take initiative to solve issues, and willing also to propose changes.
- Take ownership and pride of your work, always open to share experience and knowledge with your team.
- Open to adapt to new technologies.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Salary: based on experience, knowledge, and background.
- Annual bonus based on company performance.
- Paid vacation, holiday, and sick time.
- Office closes last week of each year.
- 401K (with employer matching).
- Healthcare Benefits (currently paid by employer).
- Subsidies on transportation and data connectivity costs.
- Work closely with the Director of Information Services to create new architectures and solutions.
- Refactor and rework existing platforms and applications.
- Provide ideas, research, and create prototypes to the rest of the team to build upon.
- Build new product initiatives from ground up.
- Help with building a microservices oriented platform.
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and improve web and back-end software and services.
- Perform code reviews and collaborate with peers on software solutions.
- Interact with Product Managers to deliver high-quality, high-profile software and user experiences.
- Participate in Agile ceremonies (standups, retros, sprint planning, etc.).
- Troubleshoot and fix production issues as they occur.
Qualifications – You must have:
- BS degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical field or equivalent practical experience.
- 10+ years of professional experience as a software engineer developing web solutions and working in a back end or full-stack capacity.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft .NET Framework (C#, ASP.NET MVC, ASP.NET Web API, .NET Core, Entity Framework, Azure functions).
- Experience with SQL/RDBMS as well as NoSQL and MongoDB desired.
- Experienced with cloud PaaS like AWS, Azure.
- Fluent in RESTful APIs, microservices, and service-oriented architectures.
- A strong understanding that engineering requires finding solutions in predefined restrictions (time, scope, cost).
- Proven understanding of prioritization and inter-team collaboration; Strong communication, collaborative and brainstorming skills, ability to handle multiple projects.
- Respect existing solutions and search for business meaning behind given solutions, not only technology reasons.
- A strong understanding of object-oriented principles.
- A strong understanding and hands-on experience utilizing software design patterns.
Qualifications – These would be nice to have:
- Experience developing consumer facing software, especially at scale
- Familiarity with test driven and behavioral driven development practices
- Familiar with software build, release, deployment and monitoring tools and practices
- Experience working in an agile/SCRUM environment
Diversity Equity, and Inclusion
Larta Institute is committed to providing an accessible, safe, respectful, and welcoming environment for all. Our Anti-Discrimination Policy aims to ensure that all members of the Larta Institute community – including our staff, startup founders, mentors, government officials, industry executives, investors, speakers, sponsors, donors, advisory board members, and other community members – are treated with dignity and respect in an open culture that is free from harassment, discrimination, violence, and other inappropriate conduct.
Larta Institute is committed to diversity, equitable access, and inclusion.
How to Apply
Please send a customized cover letter (including availability) and resume to email@example.com. Please include ‘Software Engineer’ in the subject line.
This job description is a summary of the primary duties and responsibilities of the job and position. It is not intended to be a comprehensive or all-inclusive listing of duties and responsibilities. Contents are subject to change at management’s discretion.
Larta Institute is an equal employment opportunity employer. We consider individuals for employment or promotion according to their skills, abilities and experience. We believe that it is an essential part of Larta’s overall commitment to attract, hire and develop a strong, talented and diverse workforce. Larta Institute is committed to complying with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination as defined by both California and federal laws.