Fellowship Program for Sustainability & Social Impact-focused Ventures
Reports to: Executive Leadership
Location: Los Angeles (HQ in Downtown LA)
Who is Larta Institute?
Larta Institute is a non-profit organization accelerating innovation and entrepreneurship.
Our mission is to foster science and technology innovation for a sustainable planet.
Our planet is experiencing significant global problems created by human behavior and policies affecting the environment, food, education, energy, and healthcare systems. New science and technology play a critical role in transforming how we sustainably feed, fuel, and heal the world.
Larta was founded in 1993, in Los Angeles, as one of California’s regional technology alliances to stimulate the economic development of technology-based enterprises in Southern California. Larta quickly became the national partner for numerous federal government agencies to commercialize novel research and innovation – including DARPA, NIH, DOE, NSF, NIST, NOAA, and USDA.
Today, our innovation platform and ecosystem accelerate new science and technology from idea to sustainable enterprise – by providing a unique combination of connections, resources, and funding. We have helped over 4,500 startups, and our alumni have raised over $6.5 billion in funds.
About our Venture Studio
The Venture Studio at Larta Institute is a new initiative to co-create & fund startups that will feed, fuel, and heal the world. We design, build, and scale new ventures in partnership with promising founders. And, we invest in early-stage startups alongside our active funding network.
About the Fellowship Program for Sustainability & Social Impact-focused Ventures
This role is to manage a new pilot program within our Venture Studio, funded by a major financial institution. The program will support promising diverse minority & women-led startup founders as sponsored “Fellows” to translate their innovative ideas into active pilot services and products, that can be funded & scaled to improve climate-change resilience for underserved communities. The ‘Fellowship Program’ will help create social impact & sustainability startups with a focus on environment & climate, food, education & community, and cleantech & energy.
We are developing a pilot program with this goal in mind, which will operate in Los Angeles & Miami.
We intend to scale this program to more US cities & urban communities, based on the work of the pilot program
What is the role?
The Senior Manager, Venture Studio is a critical role to help design, manage & execute this new program within Larta Institute. The individual will report to the Head of Program Operations. She/He will work with the executive team at Larta to lead and support the recruitment & selection of “Fellows”.
This is a hands-on position. Our Senior Manager will also be responsible for the day-to-day management of the program (starting with the pilot). She/He will help recruit mentors and partners to work with the Fellows in achieving outcomes that can be embedded in the communities served. To ensure success, Larta’s role extends to the “management” of the various startups in the pilot program, under the management of the Larta team, led by the Senior Manager. In the scale-up of the pilots, the Senior Manager will work with the executive team at Larta to solicit additional funding and engage additional stakeholders.
This role will be based at Larta’s DTLA offices, with 20-30% devoted to trips to Miami, through the pilot phase of the program.
What would my day look like?
- Manage & execute the program logistics including:
- Planning – understand the program goals & objectives, & translate into actionable operational plans
- Scheduling – maintain & execute a detailed program plan across the cohort & partner community
- Logistics – plan & execute all pre-, on-site, and post-cohort logistics for virtual & in-person activities including venture recruitment & selection, cohort curriculum, in-community pilots, and demo days
- Collaborate – work directly with the startup founders and our ecosystem of mentors & investors
- Reporting – maintain & report on program KPIs, budgets, and impact to various stakeholders
- Venture Recruitment & Selection: actively source relevant innovators via academic & community channels
- Cohort Management: build-out and run the curriculum for the 9-12 month fellowship program engagement
- Startup Ecosystem Engagement: communicate & involve mentors, investors, the public, and policymakers
- Pilot Management: work in-the-field to setup & implement community pilot programs with the cohort
- Funding/Investor Sessions: run demo days with investors & partners to help startups be ready for scale-up
- Impact: lead this new program to success, by documenting successful pilot programs in communities
What skills and experience does Larta require?
- Passionate about global cause marketing for a sustainable planet, social impact, ESG, and DEI
- Fluency in English and Spanish
- Bachelors or equivalent experience required, entrepreneurship and/or sustainability related field is a plus
- 5-6 years of professional experience in startups, accelerator programs, and/or program management
- Non-profit and investment experience a plus
- Experience with new science & technology startups, emerging companies, and venture building
- Passion for helping young diverse entrepreneurs turn their ideas into ventures for social impact
- Ability to thrive in high-pressure situations
- Ability to collaborate with culturally diverse staff across teams
- Experience managing complex programs and budgets
- Results-oriented, organized with attention to detail, and exemplary interpersonal skills
What we offer!
Larta Institute offers a competitive and attractive compensation and benefits package, as follows:
- Full-time employment within a mission-driven, non-profit organization
- An open, diverse and inclusive culture, with a commitment to job stability and personal growth
- Opportunities dedicated to personal and professional development
- Annual performance bonus potential
- Paid vacation, holiday and sick time
- Paid time off for one week during the end of year holidays
- Health insurance coverage, with low employee premium contribution
- 401(k) with employer match
- Subsidized parking or transportation
- Monthly reimbursement on data package (internet/mobile)
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Larta Institute is committed to providing an accessible, safe, respectful, and welcoming environment for all. Our Anti-Discrimination Policy aims to ensure that all members of the Larta Institute community – including our staff, startup founders, mentors, government officials, industry executives, investors, speakers, sponsors, donors, advisory board members, and other community members – are treated with dignity and respect in an open culture that is free from harassment, discrimination, violence, and other inappropriate conduct.
Larta Institute is committed to diversity, equitable access, and inclusion.
Employment Status: Exempt
Salary range: $80,000–$85,000
Seniority Level: Senior Manager
How to Apply
Larta Institute is committed to providing an accessible, safe, respectful, and welcoming environment for all. Our Anti-Please send a customized cover letter outlining your background and suitability for this position with Larta Institute and a resume highlighting your relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit with the following subject line: “Application to Larta Institute – Venture Studio, Senior Manager”.
This job description is a summary of the primary duties and responsibilities of the job and position. It is not intended to be a comprehensive or all-inclusive listing of duties and responsibilities. Contents are subject to change at management’s discretion.
Larta Institute is an equal employment opportunity employer. We consider individuals for employment or promotion according to their skills, abilities, and experience. We believe that it is an essential part of Larta’s overall commitment to attract, hire and develop a strong, talented, and diverse workforce. Larta Institute is committed to complying with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination as defined by both California and federal laws.
- Civic and Social Organization
- Science and Technology Innovation