Reports to: Executive Leadership
Location: Los Angeles (HQ in Downtown LA)
Who is Larta Institute?
Larta Institute is a non-profit organization accelerating innovation and entrepreneurship. Our mission is to foster science and technology innovation for a sustainable planet.
Our planet is experiencing significant global problems created by human behavior and policies affecting the environment, food, education, energy, and healthcare systems. New science and technology play a critical role in transforming how we sustainably feed, fuel, and heal the world.
Larta was founded in 1993, in Los Angeles, as one of California’s regional technology alliances to stimulate the economic development of technology-based enterprises in Southern California. Larta quickly became the national partner for numerous federal government agencies to commercialize novel research and innovation – including DARPA, NIH, DOE, NSF, NIST, NOAA, and USDA.
Today, our innovation platform and ecosystem accelerate new science and technology from idea to sustainable enterprise — by providing a unique combination of connections, resources, and funding. We have helped over 4,500 startups, and our alumni have raised over $6.5 billion in funds.
What is the role?
The Program Associate will assist in all aspects of planning, developing, monitoring, delivery, and control of Larta’s suite of commercialization services and programs. Larta’s client portfolio includes recipients of SBIR/STTR (Small Business Innovation Research/Small Business Technology Transfer) awards from various U.S. Federal agencies, companies from the private sector, foundations, and investment firms. These services and programs are designed to assist innovative entrepreneurs and university researchers with various commercialization activities including customized business consulting, intellectual property assessment, market research, pitch deck review, company financials, introduction to key industry stakeholders and potential investors, website design, marketing, and branding. In addition, the Program Associate will help screen prospective company candidates for Larta’s Venture Studio and assist with new business initiative opportunities.
What would my day look like?
- Provide support to key members of the focus areas at Larta.
- Manage day-to-day operational tasks ensuring timely execution of agreed upon deliverables.
- Assist and provide input to program team for management of the program: establishing program milestones, deliverables, timelines, and resources.
- Assessment of market research needs for focus areas’ needs.
- Data analysis and interpretation of results.
- Assist with focus area-related reports.
- Mining data from primary and secondary sources, reorganizing data in a format that can be easily read.
- Assist in planning and execution of webinars, podcasts. and blogs.
- Special projects as required (e.g., documentation of workflow processes, development of standard operating procedures).
- Event Logistics — Assist in planning and execution of all logistical aspects of Larta’s flagship industry event.
- Help screen Larta Venture Studio company candidates and perform due diligence activities.
- Assist with technology-based new business initiatives.
- Additional duties as assigned.
What skills and experience does Larta require?
- Bachelor’s degree (preferably in science-related fields and/or business).
- Minimum 1–2 years professional work experience in Program/Project Management, Market Research or Business Development.
- Interest in new science & technology start-ups, innovation, entrepreneurship, emerging companies, and ventures preferred
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong proficiency in Office 365, specifically Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Skilled in data analytics and presenting data with charts, graphs, and other tools.
- Ability to thrive under pressure while simultaneously managing multiple issues and assignments in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to collaborate with culturally diverse staff across teams and good interpersonal skills.
What we offer!
Larta Institute offers a competitive and attractive compensation and benefits package, as follows:
- Full-time employment within a mission-driven, non-profit organization
- An open, diverse and inclusive culture, with a commitment to job stability and personal growth
- Opportunities dedicated to personal and professional development
- Annual performance bonus potential
- Paid vacation, holiday, and sick time
- Paid time off for one week during the end of year holidays
- Health insurance coverage, with low employee premium contribution
- 401(k) with employer match
- Subsidized parking or transportation
- Monthly reimbursement on data package (internet/mobile)
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Larta Institute is committed to providing an accessible, safe, respectful, and welcoming environment for all. Our Anti-Discrimination Policy aims to ensure that all members of the Larta Institute community – including our staff, startup founders, mentors, government officials, industry executives, investors, speakers, sponsors, donors, advisory board members, and other community members – are treated with dignity and respect in an open culture that is free from harassment, discrimination, violence, and other inappropriate conduct.
Larta Institute is committed to diversity, equitable access, and inclusion.
Employment Status: Exempt
Salary range: $58,240 – 64,000
Seniority Level: Associate
How to Apply
Please send a customized cover letter outlining your background and suitability for this position with Larta Institute and a resume highlighting your relevant experience to email@example.com. Please submit with the following subject line: “Application to Larta Institute — Programs Associate, Sustainability”.
This job description is a summary of the primary duties and responsibilities of the job and position. It is not intended to be a comprehensive or all-inclusive listing of duties and responsibilities. Contents are subject to change at management’s discretion.
Larta Institute is an equal employment opportunity employer. We consider individuals for employment or promotion according to their skills, abilities, and experience. We believe that it is an essential part of Larta’s overall commitment to attract, hire and develop a strong, talented, and diverse workforce. Larta Institute is committed to complying with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination