Who is Larta Institute?
Larta Institute is a non-profit organization accelerating innovation and entrepreneurship.
Our mission is to foster science and technology innovation for a sustainable planet.
Our planet is experiencing significant global problems created by human behavior and policies affecting the environment, food, education, energy, and healthcare systems. New science and technology play a critical role in transforming how we sustainably feed, fuel, and heal the world.
Larta was founded in 1993, in Los Angeles, as one of California’s regional technology alliances to stimulate the economic development of technology-based enterprises in Southern California. Larta quickly became the national partner for numerous federal government agencies to commercialize novel research and innovation – including DARPA, NIH, DOE, NSF, NIST, NOAA, and USDA.
Today, our innovation platform and ecosystem accelerate new science and technology from idea to sustainable enterprise – by providing a unique combination of connections, resources, and funding. We have helped over 4,500 startups, and our alumni have raised over $6.5 billion in funds.
What is the role?
Larta Institute is seeking a Program Manager to drive and and manage Larta’s initiatives and programs that foster innovation with a focus on creating positive social and environmental impact and meeting the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals. Larta’s programs and initiatives like Venture Fellows, Heal.LA & Larta Ventures work to develop and support solutions that address pressing global challenges while also promoting sustainable business practices. The Program Manager will bridge the gap between innovative ideas and real-world impact, guiding program participants through the innovation journey and supporting the growth of socially and environmentally responsible solutions. This role is critical to meeting, measuring and reporting Larta’s impact goals and will involve very disciplined program management, stakeholder engagement, ecosystem building, and human centered design thinking.
Qualifications and Responsibilities:
The Program Manager will be responsible for designing, implementing, and overseeing a range of community- and impact-centered initiatives and programs. The role involves engaging with diverse stakeholders, fostering collaboration, and creating impactful programs that address the unique needs and aspirations of the community and Larta’s mission. Larta is also undergoing the launch of many new impact-centric initiatives and so this role will require creativity, adaptability, resilience, and innovation to manage rapid evolution and changes. This role reports to the Head of Programs and Evaluation.
- Program Design and Development:
- Define program goals, objectives, KPIs, success criteria, and clear timelines.
- Develop thorough program management plans to manage program communications, quality, impact measurement, budget, resources, schedule, scope, stakeholders and risks.
- Design process and engagement flow, program model, meetings and forms, and other planning documents to meet program goals.
- Stakeholder Engagement:
- Engage with a diverse range of stakeholders including startups, entrepreneurs, researchers, corporate partners, nonprofits, funders, and governmental agencies.
- Participate in building and nurturing relationships to ensure a strong ecosystem of collaborators.
- Participate in developing and implementing community needs assessments and community engagement systems that can be integrated into program processes.
- Engage steering committee members with status updates and asks.
- Innovation Ecosystem Development:
- Initiate, develop, and maintain partnerships with universities, research institutions, incubators, accelerators, and other relevant entities to foster a supportive ecosystem for innovation.
- Foster connections that enable knowledge sharing, resource access, and collaborative opportunities.
- Program Promotion and Outreach Support:
- Support marketing and outreach leads to provide data needed to implement outreach campaigns.
- Project Management:
- Oversee the implementation of programs, including participant selection, project milestones, and timelines.
- Ensure smooth execution of events, workshops, mentoring sessions, and other program-related activities.
- Ensure thorough planning, tracking, and status reporting of the program on day-to-day as well as long term strategic goals.
- Ensure complete and accurate documentation of program records including lessons learned and best practices.
- Innovation Support:
- Match the right mentors and experts and ensure that deliveries like needs assessments, pilot plans, other commercialization services are being met in a timely manner.
- Provide guidance and support to participating teams or individuals throughout the innovation process, helping them refine their ideas, develop prototypes, and build business models.
- Impact Assessment:
- Monitor and evaluate the progress and outcomes of participating projects.
- Keep impact data well documented for impact reporting and storytelling and reporting status to partners and sponsors.
- Resource Allocation and Management:
- Allocate resources, including funding, mentorship, and technical support, to participating teams or individuals as needed.
- Ensure effective utilization of available resources.
- Reporting and Communication:
- Generate regular reports and updates on program progress, impact metrics, and success stories.
- Communicate the organization’s achievements to stakeholders, partners, and the wider community.
- Feedback and Continuous Improvement:
- Oversee the collection of feedback from participants and stakeholders to continuously improve the organization’s programs and offerings.
- Incorporate lessons learned to refine future initiatives.
- Team Management:
- Manage Program Associates and interns who report to this role through regular reviews and check-ins for task delegation and tracking and the individual’s growth and development.
- Other duties as assigned.
What skills and experience does Larta require?
- Bachelor’s degree (preferably in science-related fields and/or business). Master’s degree in sustainable development, social entrepreneurship, MBA focused on social impact and innovation preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years professional work experience in non-profit, accelerator, program/project management, business development, or impact-centric organizations.
- Demonstrated experience developing and implementing impact-centric programs/projects from inception to completion, including development and adherence to timelines and budgets with proven project management skills, relationship and ecosystem building, innovation facilitation, impact assessment and measurement, and risk management.
- Understanding of impact frameworks like ESG and global sustainable development goals.
- Strong proficiency in Office 365, specifically Excel, Word, and PowerPoint. Experience with HubSpot is a plus.
- Interest in new science & technology start-ups, innovation, entrepreneurship, emerging companies, and ventures.
- Well-versed in the non-profit sector and an understanding of what it means to serve an organization’s mission preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Skilled in data analytics and presenting data with charts, graphs, and other tools as well as data driven decision making.
- Ability to thrive under pressure while simultaneously managing multiple issues and assignments in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to collaborate with culturally diverse individuals across teams.
- Ability to build, lead and manage high performing teams.
Location: Hybrid, part-time office attendance in Los Angeles, CA is essential.
What we offer!
Larta Institute offers a competitive and attractive compensation and benefits package, as follows:
- Full-time employment within a mission-driven, non-profit organization
- An open, diverse and inclusive culture, with a commitment to job stability and personal growth
- Opportunities dedicated to personal and professional development
- Quarterly and annual performance bonus potential
- Paid vacation, holiday, and sick time
- Paid time off for one week during the end of year holidays
- Health insurance coverage, with low employee premium contribution
- 401(k) with employer match
- Subsidized parking or transportation
- Monthly reimbursement on data package (internet/mobile)
Compensation: This is an exempt, full-time position.
Salary Range: $ 80,000-90,000
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Larta Institute is committed to providing an accessible, safe, respectful, and welcoming environment for all. Our Anti-Discrimination Policy aims to ensure that all members of the Larta Institute community – including our staff, startup founders, mentors, government officials, industry executives, investors, speakers, sponsors, donors, advisory board members, and other community members – are treated with dignity and respect in an open culture that is free from harassment, discrimination, violence, and other inappropriate conduct.
Larta Institute is committed to diversity, equitable access, and inclusion.
How to Apply
Complete an application, including providing a resume and cover letter here.
This job description is a summary of the primary duties and responsibilities of the job and position. It is not intended to be a comprehensive or all-inclusive listing of duties and responsibilities. Contents are subject to change at management’s discretion.
Larta Institute is an equal employment opportunity employer. We consider individuals for employment or promotion according to their skills, abilities, and experience. We believe that it is an essential part of Larta’s overall commitment to attract, hire and develop a strong, talented, and diverse workforce. Larta Institute is committed to complying with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination as defined by both California and federal laws.